Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vegetarian Sushi at Oh Fish!

I know most people think "fish" when they hear sushi, but I rather enjoy a good vegetarian roll, especially in the summer.  It's light, fresh and wholesome food.  You can usually get an avocado roll or a cucumber roll wherever you go, but I really appreciate sushi restaurants that have creative vegetarian options.  Tono Sushi in Woodley Park has an excellent Veggie Delight roll that's colorful and delicious. I alslo like Kaz Sushi Bistro's vegetarian options, which include an asparagus and roasted red pepper roll and a portabello and sun dried tomato roll.  It may not be traditional sushi, but these specialty veggie rolls make a great cold lunch option when you want something other than a sandwich or salad.

So, as you can imagine, I was excited to see that a spin-off of Kaz, Oh Fish!, was opening near my office.  At Oh Fish!, you create your own Maki Sushi roll  from a variety of ingredients.   The vegetarian roll is $7.50, and you get to pick five veg ingredients, choosing from a list that ranges from kimchi to basil to carrots.  You can then add an "extra flavor," such as shiso, sesame seeds or rice crackers, as well as various soy sauces and wasabi mayos.  After putting in your order at the register, your roll is made to order.

I elected to make my roll up from avocado, carrot, pickled red onion, asparagus and cilantro with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, skipping the sauce options to avoid soy.  The veggies were just the right texture and the pickled onion had a nice kick. A dainty eater I am not, so I am glad I ordered the larger roll, which was just the right portion size for me.

If you don't want to make your own roll, there are some house rolls you can order off the menu.  There's also edamame, miso soup and seaweed soup available as sides.  A few tables are available for those who wish to dine in, but carry-out was super easy.

1 comment: