Monday, May 23, 2011

Quinoa Two Vegan Ways: Sweet for Breakfast, Savory for Dinner

Breakfast Quinoa with Fruit & Almonds
In trying to break out of my breakfast rut (aka, toast), I decided to try a hot cereal of quinoa and fruit.  I had some leftover pear, blueberry and almond mixture leftover for Saturday's dessert, so I mixed that up with the quinoa.  I don't normally rinse my quinoa before I cook it, because I don't mind the bitter coating in savory dishes.  But, the slight bitterness was enhanced a bit against the sweet fruit.  I'll continue to tinker.

Dinner Quinoa with Vegan Sausage
Since I had made a week's worth of quinoa last night in anticipation of today's breakfast experiment, I decided to have it for dinner as well.  I had some Grain Meat Co. Italian "sausage," which I sauteed in olive oil with onion, pepper, tomatoes and spinach.  I stirred in 2/3 cup of quinoa and some mozzarella daiya, and, voila, dinner tonight and lunch for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment