Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Leftover Lentil Concoction

Since we have a huge container of lentils left over from this weekend's Moussaka, I will be experimenting a lot with lentils this week.  Tonight, I made a concoction.  After I put some wild rice in the rice cooker, I finely diced 1/4 of a large yellow onion and one of the pale yellow peppers we had in the fridge and tossed them in some olive oil.  Then, I crushed up three cloves of garlic and tossed that in, followed by some coarsely chopped grape tomatoes.  For color, I added chopped fresh parsley and finely sliced baby spinach.  In went the cooked lentils, and then I seasoned the whole lot with za'atar, tomato paste concentrate, vegetable broth, freshly ground black pepper and salt.

I would have liked a bit more color contrast - the lentils really blended in with the wild rice.  But, the texture was good and I liked the flavor blend.

There are lots more lentils left, so we'll see what else I can make with them.  One nice thing about making a big batch of something like lentils, beans, rice, quinoa, farro (and the list goes on) over the weekend is that you can use it throughout the week, but not spend a lot of time on prep.  You can then vary up your meals by using different produce items, seasonings, etc.  Now, I just need to remind myself to take my own advice and do this type of thing more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment