Sunday, April 3, 2011

Introductions

So, I've been saying I was going to do a vegetarian food blog for awhile now, but I've been putting it off with all sorts of excuses - I don't have time, others have beaten me to the punch, etc.  But I suppose all that matters is this.

I love food.  I love preparing it, reading about it, talking about it, and perhaps, most importantly, eating it.

One of my earliest memories is being three, standing on a chair in my grandparents' kitchen and mixing butter, milk and powdered cheese sauce into a just drained pot of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese while my grandmother stood by to make sure I didn't fall off the chair.  (This likely explains why I still crave Mac & Cheese when I'm having a bad day).  That's one of so many food memories I have that involve family and friends gathering in the kitchen to prepare, eat and laugh.

I practice yoga regularly, and I've noticed the same effects as practice when I really get going in the kitchen - a unique focus on the "now" and bliss when the process is complete, when I bring a finished dish to the table.

It's good that I mention yoga, because it's a big reason why I've chosen to no longer eat meat and limit other animal products.  When I did an intro teacher training last year, I did a lot of reading on ethical vegetarianism and I realized I couldn't bring myself to eat animals anymore.

So, where does this put me?  I'd say in a great place.  I'm having tremendous fun exploring new foods, indulging in delicious meals and blabbing about my time in the kitchen.  And since, as a proud holder of a Literature degree, I miss writing, so I'm hoping this will let me indulge that itch a bit more too.

So, what can you expect from me?
  • I cook and bake a ton - I'll share my favorite vegan and vegetarian (lacto-ovo) recipes with you, as well as what worked and what didn't
  • I also love restaurants.  I travel tons, so I will share my thoughts on my eating out experiences around the world.
  • I'll share thoughts on the books and articles about vegetarianism I find inspiring.
  • I'll share my food memories and invite you to share yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment